Monday, November 5, 2012

Lab 4




In this lab we used the ArcGIS system for the first time. The process of using the ArcGIS system was very confusing for me. It took several steps to complete some simple functions like changings fonts and colors. I do not have any experience working with software like this and therefore it took a long time to complete each exercise. I also found it very easy to click the wrong button or make a slight mistake that dramatically changed the map, which was unfortunate for a first-time user like myself and further prolonged the process. Another pitfall in my experience was the fact that the tutorial was for a different version of the system and therefore you couldn’t do some of the functions unless you looked at a different document and tried to make sense of it. I think it would have beneficial to go through the packet in lab as a class, therefore making sure everyone understands the material.
I think this lab would have been much more tolerable if we were given more time to work with the program. Although you can eventually get through the tutorial as a first-time user, it is very difficult to remember exactly what you did and how you did it because we were simply following instructions from a sheet of paper. I think with more practice we can begin to learn the basic features of ArcGIS and this process would be much more pleasant. I would note however that most programs are extremely painful to work with at first and these are pitfalls that might be unavoidable for any first-time user.
With all the confusion and frustration that came from using a new program, once I completed the exercise I was impressed with all the functions that it could perform. The ability to demonstrate different geographic features, create tables, and produce highly informative maps is very useful in a variety of academic fields. The functions that we learned were just the basics of the system and I still couldn’t believe what the program was capable of doing. I think the ArcGIS is full of potential and is likely to get better and better with technological advancements over time.
My experience with neogeography in lab 3 and now the basic functions of ArcGIS clearly reveal the tradeoff of easy-use and high functionality. Neogeography was limited in its functions and ability to represent data but was extremely easy to use. My experience with neogeography was much more pleasant and I was able to understand the end result fully. ArcGIS provided the tools to complete amazing functions and produce extremely informative maps that neogeography would never allow, but at a huge cost, the program was no longer user-friendly. I think ArcGIS is extremely technical and is not useful for average people. This system is full of potential but its use is limited to the academic/scientific community.

No comments:

Post a Comment